Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Eliminating Gasoline Fumes


Last Thursday I had the fuel pump in my car replaced because my car wouldn’t start. I drove home and thought all was well.

At first I just smelled gasoline fumes when I opened the trunk. Of course over Labor Day weekend there was no hope of service, so I put up with the smell until Tuesday after Labor Day when I called the repair shop.

I was told that it takes about a week for the fumes to dissipate, and to give them a call at that time if the fumes were not gone. At this point it was just a moderate inconvenience so I moved all of the stuff from the trunk so that my brief case and other belongings would not smell like gasoline.

This morning I stopped at the service station to fill up, and there was no where I could go to get away from the gasoline smell. It was unbelievable. I opened the windows and drove. I closed the windows. I turned the air conditioning vents directly on me. I turned the air conditioner off and none of it made any difference. There was nothing I could do to get rid of the smell!

I had scheduled an appointment for the car tomorrow because of the fumes in the trunk, but I called and told them something had to be done now. It was making me sick to even drive the car.

So there I was up close and personal with gasoline fumes that were absolutely making me crazy. My throat was dry, my heart was racing, and my head hurt. All of these symptoms came on within minutes.

After the problem with the car was fixed, I thought my problems were over. They told me to leave the trunk open to let any remaining fumes escape. So I put the car in the garage and left the trunk open. When I went to get my brief case out of the trunk, the garage smelled like---you guessed it—gasoline! And then I started to smell the fumes in the house.

I sent my husband and daughter off to the YMCA for a couple of hours. Turned the heavy duty portable air purifier that runs all the time to the highest speed, and left the house to visit a neighbor.

Thankfully, when we all converged back at the house several hours later, the fumes were gone, at least from the house.

If you need to get rid of gasoline fumes, see the air purifier that can help you do it at
http://purerair.com/healthmate_plus.html

Take good care,
Debbie Davis, President
PurerAir.com
(800) 997-2989

Labels: ,